Category Archives: Top numbers

The most annoying/most wanted/ most commented and/or most helpful numbers

Top 5 Spam Numbers in Australia

Facebooktwitterredditpinteresttumblrmail

Whenever someone receives a call from a strange number, we get quite uncomfortable. It could be a legitimate call from our insurance company or an acquaintance. But what if it is a scammer? How can we be sure about the caller? Don’t worry, tellows is here to help you. You can check an unknown number on tellows-au.com to see who called and why. This week we inform you about the latest fraud numbers that have been recently reported all over Australia.

Incoming Call

tellows’ Top 5 Spam Numbers of the Week

1. 0370679621 from Melbourne with a tellows Score of 8
2. 0861462979 from Perth – with a tellows Score of 8
3. 0423556255 from Optus – with a tellows Score of 8 (Courier Scam via SMS)
4. 0390875570 from Melbourne – with a tellows Score of 8
5. 0386389099 from Melbourne – with a tellows Score of 8
Continue reading

Facebooktwitteryoutubeinstagram

Top Phone Numbers of January

Dear tellows fellows,

the first month of the year has passed. We’re very happy that all of our users have contributed to our platform by sharing useful information of various telephone numbers. Last month, we received more than 1200 ratings and comments in UK. The total number has increased by 200 ratings compared to December. In order to protect you from possible fraudsters and phone spammers, we would like to share some of the most searched numbers at tellows.co.uk. We’ve also added the type of callers and the name of companies, so you can see if the numbers are dangerous or not.
Continue reading

Most searched numbers: 1st week of September

Dear tellows fellows,
We’re happy to always receive your reports about phone numbers every day. With the help of all the ratings and comments that you post at tellows, we can help the entire community to prevent new telephone scams and dubious calls. In this post, we would like to share about the most searched numbers in the first week of September with you.

Let´s go trough the most searched numbers!

New Sky: BT asking to add the telephone number of the New Sky business to add to the BT directory free of charge.
Continue reading

Tiresome and Tenacious: The Week’s Top 3

Hello tellows followers!

The theme this week is domestic utilities. These people call you at your home, whilst you’re at home, making you feel not at home. We hope we can save you a little time if the following come calling.

Have you recently become a landlord with Your Move? Prepare to be assailed with calls from these insurance telemarketers on 01392849890! With 4581 search requests, it seems that not all of you are convinced by their credibility either (tellows score: 4), so handle with caution! Sister number 01392849808 is also manned by telemarketers selling gas/water/electricity; estate agents Right Move and Reeds Rains appear to be passing on your details to ‘helpful’ third parties.

‘Annoyed’ states:

Estate Agents have given them my number, what a cheek! but try to prove it! First said they were offering a Estate Agent service to connect gas etc. when moving in. then once had me listening started talking tariffs, I swiftly told them I wasn’t interested and they put the phone down, but I know it won’t be the last junk call I’ll be getting. This should be illegal.

Shouldn’t it?

Next up, we have 02036170540, who’ll tells you it’s a survey then try to sell you energy devices for your home. They’re not likely to know your name exactly and for that matter, don’t seem sure of their own: they operate under variations on the ‘British Energy Council’ and ‘Domestic Energy Valuation’, to the ultimately vague ‘British Advisory Board’. It’s been searched 10170 times on tellows and you’ve left 41 comments!

SammyJ reports one of the classic telemarketing tactics:

Call at nearly 9pm, “im not selling anything”, then in the next breath, we want to help youoptimise your household energy bills!!!

As a sidenote, the ’20 seconds’ of your time they so politely request is a majestic underestimation.

Finally, with 19307 tellows search requests to their name and an impressive 36 comments, the people from 01233648537 phone on behalf of various organisations to do surveys – anything from water companies to Natwest (which seems to be the current activity). So – private survey company or con-ring? Sandra gives us a clue…

Missed call at 8.35pm on Sunday. They called again 5 minutes later and started off with natwest bank survey. When I refused to answer questions they said they also deal with Anglos water and started questioning me about monthly direct debit. Told them I’m not interested in speaking to them and hung up. Have tried calling me back twice now!

There are many legitimate companies that outsource independent survey organisations to carry out questionnaires for them, but it is ALWAYS worth checking the legitimacy, not giving out or confirming personal details, and remembering that you are not obliged to answer the survey. These people are requesting time from YOUR day!

Hang in there, hang up on them and hang it all and go on holiday if it gets too much.

Ciao for now,

Your tellows team

Who’s Terrorising Your Telephone? The Weekly Top 3

Small woodland creatures may be settling down for a winter’s rest but scam and spam callers have no intention of taking a break.

Here’s the latest in annoying:

The opportunists calling from 01612778191 have somehow tracked down your personal details and know you’re on a Vodafone Pay As You Go phone – and naturally they want to upgrade you. However, user lizzie claims that they are not Vodafone at all…

Vodafone have confirmed this company is not working on their behalf but cannot answer me as to how this company knows my monthly payment plan on PAYG

Beware of telemarketers and always always confirm that the caller is legitimate before signing up to anything or handing over any personal or financial details!

Meanwhile, 02070591411 are hailing users with survey requests. We’ve never heard of anything more general than a ‘Life Survey’ but I suppose you have to cater to all audiences. They also promise that Holy Grail of ‘no more nuisance calls’ if you complete the survey. Most amusing.

User +Alzir has been getting creative, but to no avail.

Five times in a week,I’ve tried everything from playing them music to swearing at them and they still won’t give up.

Finally, we have 08445715199, an example of the current plethora of spam-text-requests plaguing mobile phone users. You’ll get a text telling you that somebody has tried to contact you (despite a mysterious lack of missed calls in your history – oh well, you suppose, perhaps I was on the phone at the time). They demand that you ‘URGENTLY’ call them back, quoting a 6 digit reference number. Rest assured that hundreds of other people will have received exactly the same reference number and you will simply be put on premium-rate hold.

Handlebarchap fancies himself one step of the game…

text from 07463590467: ‘call us back on 08445715199 and quote this reference number’. DO THEY THINK I’M STUPID?? Wish these idiots would stop pestering me with their transparent con schemes!!

However, these texts can be quite convincing to the uncynical eye so we’re giving you all a heads-up nonetheless.

Don’t say we haven’t warned you.

Have a lovely week, watch your (digital) back and we’ll be back with next week’s top three!

Ciao for now.

Your tellows team

This Week’s Top 3 Most Wanted Numbers

Hello tellows users!

A motley crew of pesterers and swindlers for you this week! There’s no rest for the wicked and therefore no rest for your phone either.

Caller number one, 01913009131, has got it all wrong. The idea with telesales is to keep the customer on the phone long enough to flog the product; this lot seem to have missed the point and will generally get about a sentence out before hanging up on you. This means we’re not 100% sure what ‘The Consumer Helpline’ are selling, but user Taylor gives us a clue…

askin if my partner had an acident last year. told him it was a long shot and hung up

I believe the correct term is ‘ambulance-chasers’.

Caller number two, calling from 02081509083, is a mysterious gentleman who seems to have trampled over colleagues and customers alike to achieve his financial goals. Under a plethora of identities and company names (most of them false, it seems), this caller has created himself a reputation that goes before him.

ryan_235 advises:

don’t touch this guy with a bargepole!!!! dodgy investments and a nasty habit of ripping you off and never paying you back. steer well clear.

pn__ gives us an ounce more insight:

villas, golf courses, murky dealings in Spain… not to be trusted.

If you hear any of the following names: Morgan Forbes/Pearl Island/First Capital Wealth/Hugh Herschell, alarm bells should ring! Remember, these sorts of people make money by being charming, so keep your wits about you!

Sombrely bringing up the rear is caller number three, a company called OTPL, on 0280697934, who are selling – wait for it – funeral insurance.

User Lynne’s experience:

phoning to sell funeral insurance from India apparently, multiple calls per day, very irritating

Like a gaggle of very persistent vultures, they’ll hover over your phoneline, calling you several times a day, for that extra dose of doom and gloom that we all need on an November day.

Keep saving these numbers under ‘time wasters’, or blocking them altogether if you can. Knowledge is power, so if you’re unsure about a caller, pop the number into tellows.co.uk and see what other users are saying about the caller.

Have a great week!

Your tellows team

This Week’s Most Wanted

Dear friends of tellows,

This week we have numbers from legal debt collectors, a consumer helpline and a call centre, for your entertainment. Personal information and loans seem to be of equal worth to both debt collectors and call centres, and they pursue them with all their might, turning a deaf ear to any protest!

1. 08433770317 with 4 comments and 3368 search requests. tellows Score: 7
2. 08445766235 with 4 comments and 2756 search requests. tellows Score: 8
3. 08000524264 with 3 comments and 1732 search requests. tellows Score: 7

The first number is 08433770317 and the owner seems to be Drydens Fairfax solicitors, who work for HMRC. They play the part of debt collectors, calling people who still have open payments to their name. The trouble is that the Drydens Fairfax solicitors are a bit behind the times: they’re also calling people whose debts have already been paid.

They work for HMRC and collect overdue payments but I already told them that I payed everything months ago. Maybe they don’t work closely with the HMRC but I suggest they should, otherwise they just scare away the people and also harm HMRCs reputation…

The second number 08445766235 belongs to the Consumer Helpline and it’s not quite clear why they’re calling but it’s fairly safe to assume that they’re hoping to collect some of your personal information during the call.

They called me repeatedly and at some point i just answered and although I didn’t really understood what they wanted, they started asking for my personal information. At that point I clearly told them that I’m not gonna reveal any of it. They hung up. Better for them

And the third number 08000524264 belongs to a call centre which works with different insurance companies (like Admiral, Bell and Elephant) and in one case, the caller introduced himself as O2. You can always ask them to remove your number from their books and hope for the best.

No info left on answerphone-repetitive calls/hangups.
Contacted call centre company ‘CALL CONNECTION’who said it may belong to Admiral Insurance Group-I had a quote from this company and specifically told them ‘NO PHONE CALLS’
CALL CONNECTION call centre have now said they will remove my number from their DATA BANK

If you’re getting nuisance calls like these, please don’t hesitate to share your knowledge on tellows! It really can help other users spot a nuisance caller a mile off, saving all of you a lot of time and energy.

Have a nice weekend!

Your tellows team

Our Top 3 Wanted Numbers this week

Dear friends of tellows,

This week’s numbers aren’t all suspect… just the majority of them. Some of them do actually have a legitimate reason for calling you and get in touch because it’s important. Nevertheless, always be on the alert for scammers posing as legitimate companies. Just remember that these companies will never ask you for your details – particularly not on the phone!

1. 08000285085 with 3 comments and 2745 search requests. tellows Score: 7
2. 08445550800 with 3 comments and 1547 search requests. tellows Score: 6
3. 01482359200 with 3 comments and 1316 search requests. tellows Score: 8

The first number 08000285085 is from British Telecoms and is a free-call service. You can’t call them back (or at least you won’t get anywhere if you do). You’ll come to a recorded message informing you that they’ll call you back later.

It’s BT and you can call them back but that won’t help much because then you’ll just receive an automated response that they tried to call you and they’ll call again later. with a cellphone there will be a charge and that’s it. It is kind of annoying to not be able to call them back.

The second number 08445550800 is supposedly a premium rate service from Barclaycard – although as you’ll see from our comments, you can’t be completely sure about that. Some user comments imply that fraudsters might also be using this number.

I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of calls I got from this number and from “Barclaycard”. It confuses me because I don’t have any business with them. I’ve never had. So why the calls? Then I had to give up and pick up the phone again, and listen to their story, again, and I told them AGAIN that I don’t know the person with that name. I’m sorry but I just don’t. Someday I went to Barclaycard and wanted to clear this up, whatever this was and here comes the surprise: I’m not in their database! Well, of course I’m not. like I said, I don’t have any connection with this company. Sooo that means that either some scammers called me with the lie of being Barclaycard, or Barclaycard and the scammers alternated their calls to me.

And finally the third number 01482359200 from Hull is a debt collection company, but apparently not a trustworthy one. They call you years later to inform you about a loan, which you supposedly took out. We get some clues as to the legitimacy of this claim in the user comments. Scam or a genuine misunderstanding?!

That call was weird. I was informed that years ago I took out a loan for my house with my husband. How he could say that straight out, without hesitation although my voice was obviously male, I don’t understand. I’m not married and I don’t own a house so this is kind of funny.

This week’s numbers once again go to show that you should share your experience with the tellows community, even if it’s just because you thought the call was funny! Sharing information about these different numbers can protect others too.
Have a great week!

Your tellows team

The Nuisance Callers have a new Top 3

Dear friends of tellows,

Another week and new numbers for you to be aware of. Although this week was rather uninteresting, we still found our Top 3 numbers which present a happy mix of different tellows scores: from a 2 to a 7. Not all the numbers are untrustworthy but that doesn’r mean that they can’t annoy you to death if they want to. The difference is that trustworthy numbers have the ability to negotiate the possibility of the removel if your number from the calling lists. You just have to demand it. Now let’s see which numbers were looked up the most this week.

1. 01142565286 with 6 comments and 4008 search requests. tellows Score: 6
2. 08003289393 with 1 comments and 3730 search requests. tellows Score: 2
3. 08003160492 with 3 comments and 1253 search requests. tellows Score: 7

Our first number 1142565286 is from Sheffield – United Kingdom and it belongs to Motorway Direct. “Car protect” is just one of their companies and they call the people in order to offer them a car warrenty. It’s a great coincidence that the call comes exactly at the time when your own warranty expires.

This number is from a company called car protect. don’t know where they have my number from and why they knew that my warrenty has expired. they didn’t answer when i asked for it sop i hung up

The second number 08003289393 with the amazing score of 2 is from British Telecom and it either calls it’s clients in order to inform them of important changes or new proposals, or they call potential customers to offer them their services.

This number is associated with BT either accounts or engineering and would only be calling for a legitimate reason.

And finally our third number 08003160492 belongs to the Littlewoods Company or to Kay& co, that’s still unclear, but it seems to be a courtesy call, like after an order, they call to confirm the details. The strange thing is that in some cases no one ordered anyrhing. So if it’s a normal call and you really ordered something, then you have nothing to fear but otherwise be careful of revealing personal information.

This is a number from the Littlewoods company! They wanted me to answer some question about an order of mine but ive never ordered something there. strange!

If you have received such calls, which in some cases are a little bit dubious, share this information with the tellows community. You never know, how many people might find it helpful. Have a nice week

Your tellows team

When a Stranger Calls: The Top 5 Most Annoying Numbers of the Week

Dear friends of tellows,

as autumn settles in and leaves start to change their color, unfortunately, some things remain the same. Not a day passes by without users reporting unwanted nuisance calls on tellows. The most searched numbers this week include the following:

1. 01143072406 with 5 comments and 4717 search requests. tellows Score: 7
2. 02075363554 with 3 comments and 3514 search requests. tellows Score: 5
3. 01614867770 with 16 comments and 10225 search requests. tellows Score: 7
4. 01753441520 with 5 comments and 7394 search requests. tellows Score: 7
5. 01415676218 with 11 comments and 4543 search requests. tellows Score: 7

Rated by our users as rather untrustworthy with a tellows score of 7, our first number, 01143072406, has been a frequent guest on our top 5 list. Most of our users that reported the number have complained about unsolicited telemarketing calls by a well-known British energy and home services provider.

Our second place this week, the number 02075363554 has been reported by our users for unsolicited telemarketing calls as well. In spite of a neutral tellows score of 7, the majority felt bothered by the persistent calls from the number. User Jill reported:

Unsolicited have asked not to call previously

Calling from Manchester, our third number, 01614867770, has been ranking on our list for nearly a year and with a rating of 7 has been considered to be rather untrustworthy. Most of our users felt harassed by frequent calls regarding insurance issues. User Stirling32 commented:

As stated previously, calling on behalf of an insurance company to discuss an accident (very minor bump) had in 2012. Asked for personal details – including that of my family – before they’d continue with the call, which I refused until they confirmed some details to me. Of course, I was told that due to data protection, they wouldn’t divulge anything to me until I had to them!! […] Recommend ignoring unless you have five minutes to waste having a little fun with them….

The fourth place this week goes to number 01753441520, a new entry on our list and yet another number that earned a tellows score of 7 due to unwanted calls that our users perceived as harassment. Many of our users stated to have received calls in spite of being registered with TPS. User Johnny even wondered:

I’m registered with TPS and ex-directory as well. however, i still recieve unsolicited calls. what use is TPS if it doesn’t work.

Ranking on our final place is number 01415676218 with calls originating from Glasgow. According to the comments of our users, the number calls both on the land line as well as the mobile phone, all throughout the day and at unsociable hours without leaving a message. User Samantha decided to take action against the unwanted calls:

I started answering, they still call every day and I swear at them. I have put in a report to TPS, I advise everyone else to as well.

If you have received unsolicited or dubious calls or have any other information on a certain telephone number, do not hesitate to share it with our tellows community. Other than that, we hope you stay scam and nusicance call-free.

Your tellows team