It’s a new week, but the spammers take no break. We collected the current top spam numbers from tellows-au.com and tell you what they are about. This week we share phone numbers with you that sent text spam messages all over Australia.
tellows’ Top 5 Text Spam Numbers of the Week
1. 0422859388 by provider Optus with a tellows Score of 7
2. 0427006689 by provider Telstra – with a tellows Score of 8
3. 0421374155 by provider Optus – with a tellows Score of 7
4. 0429478744 by provider Telstra – with a tellows Score of 8
5. 0438273649 by provider Telstra – with a tellows Score of 8
It is very common that mobile numbers are used to send spam messages. All those text messages contain a short, non-personalized text and a link. Their goal is usually to make you enter data on a page that looks official, but is just a scam.
How do you spot the scam?
- Are you expecting a package? Check the official website of the parcel service and enter your tracking number there
- Are you sure you haven’t been in a video that has been recorded or don’t use social media to upload private video? Then don’t trust such a message!
- If you receive a status update of a supposed delivery attempt on a Sunday or public holiday, it cannot be an official supplier as no packages are delivered on these days
- Usually the links used in those messages are very cryptic and are obviously not from official pages.
What You Can Do
- Do not click the link in the message, call the number back, or reply to the SMS
- If you are unsure of the status of your package, log in via the official website
- Do not share personal information with the sender if you are not sure who the author is or if he is legitimate!
- Check every unknown number on tellows-au.com and leave a comment to warn others about the caller.
- In our latest blog post we inform you about the recent scams and what you can do to avoid them.
- Block numbers with the help of the tellows apps.
- Report scams to the Scamwatch website, so they can take action.
Have you been scammed or received unwanted text messages lately? Tell us your story in the comments!